Feb 11, 2014

"Once In A Lifetime" by Jill Shalvis


Title: Once In A Lifetime

Author: Jill Shalvis

Series: Lucky Harbor, #9

Publisher: Grand Central Publishing

Publication date: February 18th, 2014


My rating: 4 of 5
 
 
(Book read from February 1st to February 3rd, 2014,  from an eARC received from the publisher through NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)
 

Summary:

 
 
SOMETIMES WRONG IS OH-SO-RIGHT
 
After a wrenching loss, Ben McDaniel tried to escape his grief by working in dangerous, war-torn places like Africa and the Middle East. Now he's back in his hometown and face-to-face with Aubrey Wellington, the hot-as-hell woman who is trouble with a capital T. Family and friends insist she's not the one to ease his pain, but Aubrey sparks an intense desire that gives Ben hope for the future.  

Determined to right the wrongs of her past, Aubrey is working hard to make amends. But by far, the toughest challenge to her plan is sexy, brooding Ben - even though he has absolutely no idea what she's done...
 
Can this unlikely couple defy the odds and win over the little town of Lucky Harbor?
  
  
  

My Thoughts on the Book:



First of all, once again I have to mention that I'm a big fan of the Lucky Harbor series. There's just something about this little town & all the characters in it, and the adorable & hilarious situations they find themselves in, that I think that no one would be able to stop themselves, but get sucked in & fall in love with the town, the characters & all the stories. I actually just found out that the series will be over this year, so I'm sad, because I don't want to say goodbye, but at least there will be 3 more books to look forward to reading this year, so if you still haven't tried the series or Jill Shalvis's books, what are you waiting for?

Once In A Lifetime is the 3rd book in the 3rd Lucky Harbor trilogy a.k.a the 9th full-length Lucky Harbor novel, and once again I loved it. This is the story of Aubrie & Ben - characters I already met last year in the previous two books: It Had to Be You & Always on My Mind. Although for me, Once In A Lifetime wasn't as entertaining or as great as those two books, it was still really good, and I loved Ben & Aubrie's story, I actually think it was perfect for them both, for the characters they are, and I loved every second of it.

I really started caring about Aubrie as a character, about everything she's been through, everything she has done, and I appreciated her trying to move on & change & make amends. It made her quite likable as a character, easy to connect to, and realistic, too. 

As for Ben, he was something else. All the Lucky Harbor heroes are hot &/or charming, and amazing characters, but Ben - the perfect word is one Aubrie herself used - alpha. He was sizzling, and so sexy, and adorable, and so, so amazing as a character, yet he was an idiot, too.

And then there's the chemistry between Ben & Aubrie, which was scorching hot. I also loved their conversations, the way they started to open up to one another, it was fun, it was sad, it was humorous & almost perfect. And, there were plenty of sexy times, too.

And I also loved seeing again Luke, Jack, Leah & Ali - they were hilarious & they totally made my day. Of course, the other quirky characters contributed to the story once again, with the unforgettable Lucille in the lead.

As for the story itself, I thought it was really, really good. I really got to know the characters, especially Aubrie, connect to them both, and of course cheering them on, so Jill Shalvis has done it again, and now I can't wait for Sam's book.

As I already said, if you still haven't tried the Lucky Harbor series or Jill Shalvis's books, and you enjoy funny contemporary romances, I highly recommend these books, because Jill Shalvis is one of the best, and I'll never tire of reading her books.
 
 
 

Challenges:

 

2 comments: