Mar 26, 2013

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky



Title: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Author: Stephen Chbosky
 



My rating: 4 of 5


(Book read on March 18th, 2013)

Summary:




Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But Charlie can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.
 



 

My Thoughts on the Book:



Ok, so The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a book I think everyone has heard of. I know I have years ago, and I've wanted to read it, but never gotten around to it. But, when I watched the movie & fell in love with it, I moved it up my reading list, and decided the moment I'll get in mood for YA contemporary, I'll read it, so I finally did!
And what did I think about it? It was really good (I read it in a day) so it was a fast read, and I enjoyed it a lot.  I think that Stephen Chbosky has created a really good coming-of-age story that captured different characters, and probably any problem a teen in high school can face. But, to be honest, I think he went a little over the top with that. Seriously, there was just too much of those things happening.
But, even with all that, overall I liked all the characters, and I enjoyed a lot the way the story was narrated, as well as the story itself! I didn't fell in love with the book, but it was good. Were there some things that I didn't like? Yeah, there were some things, but I won't go into details, just some tiny things that irritated me, but not everything can be perfect ;)  
As for the movie, I still absolutely loved it. I watched it once again after reading the book, and this is definitely one of those rare cases when the movie is totally much better then the book. Stephen Chbosky did a great job both adapting his book, and directing the movie. The movie The Perks of Being a Wallflower is definitely one of the best teen movies out there, with the perfect cast, and I can't recommend it enough. 
So, do I recommend the book? Yes, if you're a fan of YA contemporary, I recommend it. But, to be honest, I actually recommend the movie even more :)  


Challenges:


6 comments:

  1. I read this last year as a novel recommendation from someone in a literature club I take part in and thought it was strange, but in a good way. It may have been a bit over the top and "Charlie" may be an over the top fellow, but I would recommend it, because it seems to be the brain child of what plenty of high schoolers are thinking and plenty of them can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you prefer the movie. I want to read before I watch so both are on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just like you - I heard a great deal about 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' but still didn't read it. Although I watched the movie last night for the first time (quite the coincidence right?) and since you claim that the movie is better than the book I will not spoil it by reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you loved the movie :)

      I don't think you can really spoil the movie if you read the book, but the tiny things I didn't like in the book were cut out for the movie, that's why I prefer the movie, and the cast itself was pretty amazing :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, movie was very good and as you said amazing cast. I especially liked the actor that played Charlie, he was so realistic.
      I also can't spoil the movie with book, I don't mind if I already read the book, although if I liked the book I might be a more judgemental about the movie itself. But I have hard time reading the book after I watched the movie... Don't know why, but usually book can't hold my attention...

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I know what you mean :) I usually try to see the book & the movie as 2 separate things and I usually don't mind if there are some changes in the movie, but, I get judgemental when the movie is awful.

      And yeah, Logan was awesome playing Charlie, and I loved Charlie as a character in the movie :)

      Maybe it's because you know what will happen ;) so the excitement or suspense about what will happen next is gone :)

      Delete