Nov 11, 2014

The Last Temptation - 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition by Neil Gaiman, Alice Cooper, Michael Zulli & Dave McKean

  
The Last Temptation
20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
 
Publisher: Dynamite Entertainment

Publication date: November 11th, 2014


My rating: 5 of 5


(Graphic novel read on October 19th, from the review copy received from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)


Summary:



Welcome to the world of the Theatre of the Real, where nightmares come to roost and the choice is yours to stay or go - but either way, life will never be the same again. That is what happens to Steven, a boy who is afraid and confused by the hard truth of growing up. One day, Steven happens upon an old theatre boasting its limited engagement grand guignol. Dared to go in, he meets the Showman - a mysterious man who introduces Steven to a world that is derelict and terrifying. The choice is Steven's, but the pleasure belongs to the Showman!

Now fully remastered and newly colored, Dynamite presents The Last Temptation as you've never seen it before! Written by critically acclaimed writer Neil Gaiman (The Sandman, Coraline, American Gods), and drawn by the Eisner-nominated artist Michael Zulli (The Sandman), this edition includes the original pitch Neil Gaiman sent to Alice Cooper, as well as the original scripts, a cover gallery featuring the art of Dave McKean (Batman: Arkham Asylum, The Sandman), and an afterword by Michael Zulli featuring a brand new, fully painted piece of Last Temptation art created specifically for this 20th anniversary edition.
    
 


My Thoughts on the Graphic Novel:



The Last Temptation is one stunning & perfect Halloween read. I adored every second of it. The story, the art, the characters, the process of the way the story developed, just everything.

The Last Temptation took me on a journey that I wanted to go on again the moment it was over. I was fascinated by the character of the Showman, I loved the way he was inspired by Alice Cooper, and I was fascinated by the story. I didn't expect to be, but I was.

It was mysterious, spooky, entertaining, horrific, and funny, yet soulful. So, yes, I loved it, and definitely an edition that I'd like to add on my shelf to read again & again.

So, I highly recommend this graphic novel to every fan of Neil Gaiman or Alice Cooper, or just fans of supernatural spooky stories. 
 
 
 

Challenges: 


2 comments: