Mar 21, 2014

"Goliath" by Scott Westerfeld


Title: Goliath

Author: Scott Westerfeld

Series: Leviathan, #3


My rating: 5 of 5


(Book read from March 12th to March 13th, 2014.)
 
 

Summary:



Alek and Deryn are on the last leg of their round-the-world quest to end World War I, reclaim Alek's throne as prince of Austria, and finally fall in love. 

The first two objectives are complicated by the fact that their ship, the Leviathan, continues to detour farther away from the heart of the war (and crown). And the love thing would be a lot easier if Alek knew Deryn was a girl. (She has to pose as a boy in order to serve in the British Air Service.) And if they weren't technically enemies.
 
The tension thickens as the Leviathan steams toward New York City with a homicidal lunatic on board.

Secrets suddenly unravel, characters reappear, and nothing is as it seems in this thunderous conclusion to Scott Westerfeld's brilliant trilogy.
 

 

My Thoughts on the Book:



Goliath is the final book of the Leviathan trilogy. This book continues where the previous one ended. Alek & Deryn once again are aboard the Leviathan, though this time, everyone knows who exactly Alek is. The Leviathan & its crew get an unexpected assignment, so they detour from their original course & go to the frozen regions of Russia to pick up a mysterious passenger (and I totally got surprised by him, I guess I should've see it coming, but didn't). After that, they'll go to New York. 

Once again, we got to see a lot more from the whole world. It seems in every book the author decided to show his vision of this alternative steampunk world, no matter if it's science, art, politics, technology or war & revolutions. Anything goes, and I loved every second of it. The imagination & thought that went to the building of this world is absolutely brilliant.

The story itself, once again was surprising, it had its unexpected twists & turns, and it was another funny, entertaining & adventure-filled journey, that I won't forget soon. I loved seeing old friends, meeting new ones (even the crazy, but brilliant scientist), and hoping for Deryn & Alek's HEA, and cheering them on. In that aspect, I was quite satisfied. It was sweet & cute & believable & perfect, simply adorable, and just so them. I just love them both so much as characters, and you know how I said in my Behemoth review that Deryn is my most fav character in the series - well, now I can't possibly choose, not after what Alek did in this book. He's such an amazing character, too, and both of them will always be some of my all time fav characters.

The ending of this book was perfect & believable & heartbreaking & wonderful, and the same goes as the finale of the Leviathan trilogy. I'm really glad that I finally finished this trilogy, it's one of my fav trilogies now, and I know I'll love returning to this world over & over again.

If you're a fan of books with unique & brilliant worlds & adventure-filled steampunk books, that will make you laugh, and fill you with wonder, then the Leviathan books are the books for you, and I highly recommend them!
 
 
 

Challenges:

 

2 comments:

  1. This series looks so good! I still cant believe that I haven't read it yet!

    Great review. I am happy to see that you loved it so much

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a series that I keep meaning to pick up. I'm happy to hear that you love the entire trilogy, and it is one that you will reread in the future. This solidifies my need to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete