Mar 30, 2014

"Another Little Piece of My Heart" by Tracey Martin


Title: Another Little Piece of My Heart

Author: Tracey Martin

Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Publication date: December 1st, 2013


My rating: 5 of 5


(Book read from March 21st to March 24th, 2014,  from a review copy received from the publisher through NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)  
 
 

Summary:



What if your devastating break-up became this summer’s hit single? In this rock-and-roll retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, music can either bring you together or tear you apart.
 
 
At her dying mother’s request, Claire dumps Jared, the only boy she’s ever loved. Left with a broken family and a broken heart, Claire is furious when she discovers that her biggest regret became Jared’s big break. While Jared is catapulted into rock-star status, another piece of Claire’s heart crumbles every time his song plays on the radio.

The summer after her senior year, it’s been months since the big break-up, and Claire is just trying to keep her head down and make it through a tense trip to the beach with her family. But when Jared shows up, and old feelings reignite, can Claire and Jared let go of the past? Or will they be stuck singing the same old refrain?




My Thoughts on the Book:



Before I start reviewing this book, I have to mention that I'm a big fan of Persuasion. Also, I love books that feature music or musicians in some way, and this book had both. An amazing retelling of Persuasion & the main characters are musicians, and even though I tried to see this book as only YA contemporary novel, in the end I couldn't stop myself from viewing it as a retelling also.

Just like Persuasion, Another Little Piece of My Heart starts on the slow side, and I loved the fact that it matched with the original ;) That being said, despite this book being a surprising & almost perfect retelling of a classic, I loved that it didn't follow everything to the detail. It was close enough, but different, and though it still contained the same story, at the same time, I was left being surprised by it over & over again.
 
I really liked Claire. She's so talented & likable. I also really liked Jared, too. He's so talented, and heartbroken, and confused, and so great - just like Mr. Wentworth ;) And I loved the interactions between them both. They're just so perfect for each other, and so sweet (when they weren't arguing), and in the end so romantic, I just love their story & was hoping for their happily ever after.

Another Little Piece of My Heart is one great YA contemporary novel, that will make you smile, break your heart, make you swoon, and make you want to listen to a whole lot of music. So, if you love contemporary romances or you love Persuasion, I highly recommend this book!
 
 
 

Challenges:

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment