Dec 22, 2014

Top 10 of 2014: Best Books I've Read in 2014!


Top 10 of 2014 is a fun-filled yearly 5-day event we spend looking back at some of the best of all things books from 2014 and looking forward to those books in 2015 that we can’t wait for.

This event is hosted by Rachel @ Reading YA Rocks, Jaime @ Two Chicks on Books, Mindy @ Magical Urban Fantasy Reads & Nancy @ Tales of a Ravenous Reader.

To join this event, sign up HERE!


I had lots of fun participating in this event in the previous 3 years, so of course, I couldn't pass up joining in once again!

Today's theme is Best Books I've Read in 2014, and yes, once again, it will be so tough to choose them, because despite the many reading, reviewing & blogging slumps I had through the year, lots of the reads I read were all kinds of amazing!


Best Books I've Read in 2014:


THE TOP 3:
(because I would put all of these as #1 if I could a.k.a the books that absolutely & totally blew my mind this year)
 
~ Half a King by Joe Abercrombie

  
I haven't tried Joe Abercrombie's adult books yet (even though I've wanted to for years), but Half a King is the best type of epic fantasy, and how YA books should be in a perfect world. It didn't feel like YA, and I adored every second of it - from the characters, to the setting & the story - it was absolutely, mind-blowingly perfect, and one of the best fantasy books I've ever read!


~ Stiltskin by Andrew Buckley


To say that I was surprised by this book, it will be an understatement. Stiltskin is one brilliant mix of an intriguing world, a different twist on well-known fairy tale characters, humour, craziness, danger, action, evil, magic, twists & turns, heartbreak & one unforgettable story & characters!


~ Frostborn by Lou Anders

  
Frostborn is the first book in the Thrones & Bones series, and the fascinating debut novel of Lou Anders. Set in a magnificent viking-inspired world, filled with rich history & mythology, different countries, creatures & magic, featuring a half frost giantess as one of the MC's (brilliant character), Frostborn is one imaginative & addictive run-for-your-life adventure, that is full of awesomeness, danger, humour & fun, with amazing & magical world-building & writing style, so yes, one of the best fantasy adventures I've read!


#4 - The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud

  
Last year, the first book in the Lockwood & Co. series The Screaming Staircase ended up on my Best of 2013 list, and now, the amazingly mysterious, eerie, humorous & entertaining sequel - The Whispering Skull - featuring the same, but now even more amazing main characters, set in the same interesting, dangerous & fascinating world, left me even more in love with this series, and it's one of the best reads in 2014 for me!
 
 
 #5 - The Queen of Zombie Hearts by Gena Showalter
  

If you know me, you know that I love Gena Showalter's books. And The Queen of Zombie Hearts is Gena at her best. It seems that she's back, her latest books had been some of her best, and this one is among them, and I loved the finale of The White Rabbit Chronicles. Entertaining, charming, sizzling & heartbreaking, and perfect ending to this great series!
 

#6 - The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness 
   

The Book of Life is the amazing & perfect finale to the All Souls trilogy. A beautiful mix of romance, history, love, family, magic, supernaturals, science & mystery - and perfect conclusion to all of these characters (main & secondary) that I adore. (I'm really hoping for a spin-off.)
 
 
#7 - Rose and the Magician's Mask by Holly Webb


One of the series I got hooked on this year is Holly Webb's Rose series. And the third book Rose and the Magician's Mask is one absolutely wonderful tale full of wonder & whimsy, magic & danger, humour, mystery & history, with lovable & quirky cast of characters, set in the reimagined mysterious & magical Venice.
 
 
#8 - Goliath by Scott Westerfeld


Goliath is another series-ending book, and just like with the previous books in the Leviathan trilogy, it's absolutely wonderful adventure, set in one unique, brilliant & imaginative steampunk world, that will make you laugh, and fill you with wonder, and make you fall in love with its world & characters all over again. So, yes, amazing finale & one of the best books that I've read this year. (Though, I like to look at the whole Leviathan trilogy as one story, to be honest.)
 

#9 - The Mute Button by Ellie Irving

  
The Mute Button is a wonderful, hilarious, heartbreaking, and unforgettable story about family, and about finding yourself & finding your place. It was definitely one of the most unexpected & surprising reads for me this year, and one of the best books I read in 2014.


#10 - Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger
 

If you adored the Parasol Protectorate series, you'll adore this book. I mean, Etiquette & Espionage was great, but Curtsies & Conspiracies is absolutely perfect. That's all I'm going to say. Gail Carriger at her best! Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten around to read Waistcoats & Weaponry, but I really can't wait to read it!
 

Don't forget to stop by tomorrow for the Best Book Covers of 2014 list.
  
 
And what about you? 
What are your best reads in 2014?

40 comments:

  1. Great list! I still need to read the All Souls trilogy and anything by Gail Carriger - I have a copy of Etiquette & Espionage, so I should really read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list but it's pretty sad that I haven't read any of these books. Oh well, yay for new recommendations! :) I am especially curious about The Book of Life and Goliath!

    Here's our Top 10! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do tend to end up with different reads on my best lists from the other bloggers. It's not on purpose, it just happens ;) Probably because of my eclectic reading taste :D

      Anyway, I highly recommend all of these!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Great verity. Unfortunately, I haven't read any of this books, though several friends have recommended The Queen of Zombie Hearts. Just haven't had the time to get to the series. Hopefully in 2015. Happy Holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll read & enjoy the trilogy. Just don't expect an Alice in Wonderland retelling, and it should be great :)

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Cool list! I've only read The Queen of Zombie Hearts (which I loved) but the others sound really interesting I have to go and check them out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will :) Thanks for stopping by, Jana!

      Delete
  5. I really need to finish the White Rabbit Chronicles series as I have only read the first one! Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy the other 2 books :) And thanks for stopping back, Kate!

      Delete
  6. I SO want to read Gena Showalter's YA series! Zombies and Wonderland are two of my favourite things; I can't believe that I'm still procrastinating on it. I gave up on Deborah Harkness' novels after the first installment. Her writing was a little too smart for me. LOL! Thanks for stopping by!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you definitely should. But, actually, it has nothing to do with Wonderland, it's only inspired by the books, but a great series. As for the All Souls, I wasn't a fan of the 2nd book, but this last one was amazing, and definitely the best :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. You have an amazing list. I need to get caught up so I can read The Book of Life and I loved Curtsies & Conspiracies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I habent read any of these books, but I wil definitely check them out. Alice in Zombieland series is on my tbr and I hope to read it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy it :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I haven't read of these but I really go want to finishing Showalter's Zombie series! I've only read Alice in Zombieland but I definitely enjoyed it =)

    Emily @ Falling For YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, then you must read the sequels! They were actually better then the 1st book, and I loved that one, too :) I hope you'll enjoy them. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I haven't had a chance to read any of these but I really want to start the Alice in Zombieland series. Those sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome, so I highly recommend it! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  11. I enjoy Gena Showalter's PNR series. I've been meaning to try her YA series. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Gena's PNR are awesome, too, I love them :) And her White Rabbit Chronicles are just as addictive, so I hope you'll enjoy them!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. I loved Half a King; such an amazing debut! I just hope the second one can live up to it, but Abercrombie is an old pro at series writing so it should be great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too! It's one of the rare times when I let myself have high expectations for a sequel :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. Sadly I haven't read any of these. I've been wanting to try Deborah Harkness's series and Gena Showalter's Zombie series!

    Thanks for stopping by my Best Books I’ve Read in 2014

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to read Gena Showalter's books! I think I have the first one... will look it up. Goliath sounds cool, I'll add it to my tbr list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy it :) And yes, Goliath and the whole Leviathan trilogy is so cool, I hope you'll read it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. Love your picks! Thanks so much for taking part in the Top 10 of 2014! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your Top 10’s :D
    Hugs,
    Jaime @ Two Chicks On Books


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaime! And thanks for hosting it again :D

      Delete
  16. So many great books! But sadly, I haven't read any of them YET. I've heard pretty good things about a few of them, and hope I get to read some of them soon!!

    Thanks for stopping by my Top Ten @ Addicted Readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sadly, I haven't read any on your list but a few are on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am bookmarking this blog post because there are so many interesting books on your list that I have not heard of. The Rose series looks wonderful and I have seen The Book of Life on a couple of other top tens. Fab post!! Thanks for stopping by my blog on the hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I hope you'll try some & love them as much as I did :) And thank you for stopping by, too!

      Delete
  19. Ah, what a different list. Haven't read any but they look interesting.

    Here's my list - http://reviewingshelf.wordpress.com/2014/12/22/best-books-ive-read-in-2014/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ^_^ I've gotten used to have different lists lol
      I always say, they don't know what they're missing ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  20. I totally love the Parasol Protectorate series, too and yes, her new series is awesome! I still need to read Waistcoats & Weaponry, too. Love the covers! Also the Stiltskin cover looks so cool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't wait, and can't wait for the Custard Protocol to start :D

      And yes, the Stiltskin cover is really cool, the art is gorgeous, but what's even cooler is that there's actually a scene like that in the book, so it's perfect :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete