Aug 27, 2012

"Midwinterblood" by Marcus Sedgwick



Title: Midwinterblood

Author: Marcus Sedgwick



My rating: 5 of 5


(Book read on August 24th, 2012.)

Summary:


"I will live seven times and I will look for you and love you in each life. Will you follow?"

Have you ever had the feeling that you've lived another life? Been somewhere that has felt totally familiar, even though you've never been there before, or felt that you know someone well, even though you are meeting them for the first time? It happens. 
In 2073 on the remote and secretive island of Blessed, where rumour has it that no one ages and no children are born, a ritual sacrifice takes place. 
It echoes a moment ten centuries before, when, in the dark of the moon, a king was slain, tragically torn from his queen. Their souls search to be reunited, and as mother and son, artist and child, forbidden lovers, victims of a vampire they come close to finding what they've lost. But can love last forever?
In a novel comprising seven parts, each influenced by a moon - the flower moon, the harvest moon, the hunter's moon, the blood moon - this is the story of Eric and Merle whose souls have been searching for each other since their untimely parting.



My Thoughts on the Book:



Almost a year ago, it was the first time I saw this book & read an amazing review for it on a fellow blogger's blog, and since then it was on my wishlist, and now I finally read it. The same day I received it, I sat & read it through. I just couldn't put it down. 
I've wanted to try Marcus Sedgwick's books for a few years now, 'cause I've heard great things about his books, and now that I did, I know I'll definitely read more from him.
So, yeah, I absolutely loved Midwinterblood! It's such a haunting tale about love. It's beautiful, yet so sad & heartbreaking, and the author will wrap you up with his words in every part of the story, and you'll think about it long after you finish it.

As described in the summary, Midwinterblood is a book of seven parts, set in seven different time periods, but on the same island, intertwined between themselves in such an unforgettable way, via the everlasting, but different type of love between Eric & Merle. The more I think about it, the more I love it, and the more shivers I get. I can't really choose a favourite part, because they were all so amazing, and I think I cried or at least got teary-eyed on almost all of them.   

Do I recommend Midwinterblood? Absolutely. Although it might not be a book for everyone, I loved it, and it's definitely a book I'll read again & again, and one of my favorites, and a book that stays with you long after you finish it!


Challenges:


4 comments:

  1. Omigosh, I am totally, utterly convinced. O_O Sounds absolutely amazing, even though I've never seen this book before! The idea of having it set in 7 different periods is really cool too! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely adding this one to my Wishlist. Thanks for the review, Aleksandra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was so good! Different, but good, so I hope you'll enjoy it if you read it :)

      Delete