Sep 4, 2011

#91 - "Witchlanders" by Lena Coakley (ARC)


Witchlanders 
by
Lena Coakley

Galley read from August 11th to August 15th 2011, acquired from Simon & Schuster GalleyGrab.

My rating: 4.5 of 5

Summary:
High in their mountain covens, red witches pray to the Goddess, protecting the Witchlands by throwing the bones and foretelling the future.
It's all a fake.
At least, that's what Ryder thinks. He doubts the witches really deserve their tithes - one quarter of all the crops his village can produce. And even if they can predict the future, what danger is there to foretell, now that his people's old enemy, the Baen, has been defeated?
But when a terrifying new magic threatens both his village and the coven, Ryder must confront the beautiful and silent witch who holds all the secrets. Everything he's ever believed about witches, the Baen, magic and about himself will change, when he discovers that the prophecies he's always scorned... 
Are about him.

My thoughts on the book:
Witchlanders is really great YA fantasy book! Lena Coakley's writing style was really good, I easily got wrapped up in the story & the world she created. I love all genres, but epic fantasy is my favourite, and this one was just my type of book. There's something that I especially love when the main character is a boy in YA novels, and here there's not just one male main character, but we got two. I loved both Ryder & Falpian as characters & although I wasn't surprised how the storyline developed & eventually ended, I enjoyed the journey. I just hope there'll be a sequel. I highly recommend this book to everyone!

Challenges:  

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this sounds really good! Thanks for your review. I love epic fantasy so I'll have to make sure this is on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete